Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken

SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
This is a recipe I've grown up with.  My dad would make it all the time and it became a family favorite. Birthdays, special occasions, whenever we had visitors, this was what we would make.  Normally we double it because I have a giant family, but with being in college and only cooking for two I didn't see the need for that.  Side note, the sauce alone is super super delicious and I'd recommend making it for won-tons or rice or something by itself.

3 pounds chicken breasts
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 beaten egg
4-6 Tbl flour
3/4 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup vinegar
1/2 Cup chicken broth
3 1/2 Tbl ketchup
1 Tbl soy sauce

Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and pepper.  Let stand for one hour or more.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Dip chicken in beaten egg, then flour. (Honestly, I keep it super simple and make a mixture with the garlic salt, pepper and egg and have the chicken sit in that.  Then coat the chicken in the flour.) Brown in hot oil. Place in baking dish (I used 8x8.  If doubled, we use 9x13).  Cover with the following sauce: Mix sugar, vinegar, chicken broth, ketchup and soy sauce in saucepan and heat.  Pour over chicken.  Bake uncovered for 1 hour.  Turn chicken once or twice.

Enjoy! It's an amazing recipe!  I serve with rice and assorted veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment